Sunday, February 8, 2009

We landed with a thud...

...And took off on a motorcycle ride through the city of Mumbai, it was ZABARDUST!!! (Awesome)
Words cannot describe the adrenaline, the chaos, the close calls, the intense, and the shocking that was compressed into those precious 20 minutes, I will never forget (and I do not want to). The only thing else I have to say about that is my new friend Moses should be on the grand prix circuit, he is that good or crazy of a driver (not sure which). Too bad he won't teach me to drive on the streets of Mumbai, I asked him and he ever so gently laughed, along with his friends. Hey it never hurts to ask.
A few words to describe my first impressions of India: surreal, colorful, captivating, aromatic, intense, all-encompassing, shocking, extreme, and contradictory just to name a few. I am sure more words are to come.
Funny and/or interesting things: I saw a airport cop that reminded me of Barney Fife; so far the town reminds me of Nairobi, Kenya, but on steroids; I learned awesome in Hindi (very cool); already mentioned the motorcycle escapade; witnessed a Muslim “parade” as my life hung in the balance (we were surrounded by auto-rickshaws, motorcycles, buses, drums, and cows with horns); it took 3 Indians to serve our table at dinner; I now know why they burn incense (and not just for idols...it covers many odorous and pungent smells); sad to say I saw a rickshaw drive missing one of his legs from the knee down; u are supposed to ride a motorcycle holding on to the seat or “look ma, no hands;” Hotel California (the live version) playing as we prayed for our meal; I could go on but that is enough for today.
Thank you friends for keeping up with me, I hope by now you have found my blog, I am way out in the boondocks of cyberspace. And please continue to pray for us...it helps so much.

No comments: